*Warning: This is a sewing post. If you don’t sew or don’t care about sewing, back slowly away from this blog post.*
A couple of years ago, I gave away all, and I mean all, our newborn through 12 month old baby boy clothes. I thought after 6 kids, we were done. Well God had other plans! And of course, kid #7 is a boy. I’m not so sure he’d like all of his baby pictures to be him in hand-me-down girl clothes.
I began shopping around online for cute, organic knit baby clothes. I found plenty. But none of them got along with our clothing budget. 🙂 I then started shopping for organic knit fabric. Oh my goodness there are sooooo many cute prints out there, and all very affordable!
I found quite a few prints at Fabricworm. The Birch Organic knits are so soft…perfect for baby pants! The pattern I used is from Brindille & Twig. This was my first foray into sewing with knit. I don’t have a serger (but will one day darnit!) but was surprised to find that the stretch stitch on my Pfaff machine worked wonderfully. I’m kicking myself for not sewing with knit earlier!
It took me a few tries to get good at sewing the pants. I made another set at a bigger size (not pictured) that came out much better than my first set. I love how the pants turned out! They took me about 15 minutes to sew and look like they will fit over cloth diapers just fine. I even made a couple of pairs for Stella (and fit her big ol’ cloth diapers)! I’m sure they’ll end up on instagram at some point soon. The pants pair well with solid color onesies or t-shirts. Or maybe I can be adventurous and sew up some onesies!
I also made a few one piece outfits for the little man. Jason hates one pieces with snaps, especially in the middle of the night while he’s changing diapers. I happened to have an old Ottobre magazine (I really need to renew my subscription to this wonderful magazine!!). This particular pattern was from the spring 2011 issue. I made one change and sewed in a strip of fabric behind the zipper so that none of the zipper rubs against the baby’s skin.
The fabric I used to bind the neck, arm, and leg holes stretched a bit more than I would have liked. Again, this is all because I’m very, very new at sewing with knits! Henry will just have to deal with bell bottoms for a bit.
And I still have plenty of knit fabric left to make more pants for the growing baby! Now I just have to break out my knitting needles and make a few cardigans for the fall/winter and he’ll be all set.