Ahhh…middle school for real. The first time I had a kid in 7th grade was the first time I really broke a sweat about homeschooling. I suppose since high school was looming, homeschooling looked scary! Well, I survived twice so far, and had such a fun time teaching!
Before I delve into what we use for each class, around 6th or 7th grade I plan to enroll my children in Angelicum Academy. (with quite a few substitutions) This gives the kids an in depth experience with a teacher other than mom and invaluable feedback on compositions and other things. My middle schoolers also like taking various courses at their own pace using The Great Courses Plus. Now…let’s dig in!
- Math: Math Mammoth 7a & 7b as well as Math Mammoth fact practice found on their site. This math is a great preparation for Algebra in 8th grade.
- Composition: IEW Following Narnia Vol. 2 An excellent continuation of Vol. 1
- Spelling: All About Spelling Level 7. This is the final level in our spelling journey and with All About Learning Press. I am continually amazed by the thoroughness of this program.
- Grammar: Fix It! Grammar book 4 The Little Mermaid This book gives the kids great usage and editing skills as well as copywork practice and vocabulary.
- Literature: Angelicum Academy booklist.
- History: A Light to the Nations Part 1 along with the workbook. This covers the coming of Christ through the 18th century.
- Science: Elemental Science Logic Level Physics
- Religion: Faith and Life 7 The Life of Grace
- Latin: Memoria Press Latin
- Geography: MCP Maps, Charts, & Diagrams H and National Geographic Archives
- Music: The Enjoyment of Music I found a copy on Thriftbooks.com We also do choir and sometimes an instrument.
- Poetry: The Harp and Laurel Wreath